Friday, January 28, 2011

The Big Sibling

In just 5 short months, Brayden will be a big brother! He will have enjoyed 3 years of being the baby and the only child (he will always be my baby, as will baby #2) but now is moving on to bigger and better things. Something I have been thinking about, and am planning on taking advantage of, is Brayden's desire to be a helper. I love that at a young age he really does have a servants heart (much like his Daddy) and loves to help around the house. Whether its helping unload the dishwasher, moving stuff from the washer to the dryer, putting his clothes in the laundry basket, helping me wipe things down with a wet rag, getting us things we ask for, etc. he just loves to help and gets such satisfaction in being needed. I really see that being a plus for him becoming a big sibling. I know he will love being able to bring me diapers, help give the baby baths, eventually help "feed" the baby, help put the babies clothes in the laundry, play with the baby, be concerned when the baby is upset, and a long list of other things. I also know he will love having things he can do that the baby cant do yet, like sitting in a big person chair, walking instead of having to be in a stroller, and hopefully going potty on the toilet. I am having so much fun thinking of ideas to really encourage and promote what a "big boy" and great big brother he is and will be to this next babe.

Something I have been cherishing over the last couple of weeks is Brayden loving on the baby. I still dont think he quite understands it just yet, but jumps on the opportunity to hug, pat, and kiss my belly and tell the baby he loves it. Though at times he will try to kiss Daddy's belly in confusion ;-). I know as mine continues to grow Brayden will understand more the concept that a baby is in there but I am so happy with how he is catching onto it now! I'm really excited he gets to come with us to our ultrasound on Tuesday and am hoping he really enjoys being able to see the baby on the screen!

3 comments:

  1. Such a sweet little boy and I'm sure he will love seeing the baby when you guys go to the Dr's on Tuesday! How exciting :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet little guy! He'll be a great big brother!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. He WILL be a great big brother and you will get a kick out of how Brayden reacts to the baby and makes it laugh (in a few days we will know the "it"!) Your second one will probably laugh the most with and at him!

    ReplyDelete