Saturday, January 1, 2011

Propane New Year

I woke up this morning earlier than Mike and Brayden, cranked up the heater, and went about my morning. Then I realized that the heater wasn't working. Weird. For some reason, my mind went right away to our propane tank even though I knew we had just checked it recently and should have had more than enough in there. After getting dressed, not being able to find a shovel so digging out the top of the tank with a metal serving spoon (it was quite a sight, hair up in a towel and everything), my suspiscions were found correct, and we were out of propane. That's never happened to us before as you are supposed to call at around 20 percent to make sure you dont run out, and I was so dumbfounded since we had just checked it and had more than enough....So inside I went, got Brayden up, fed him breakfast, and called Amerigas.
How interesting that our town is one that does not have service, even specialty service, on the weekends. I didnt understand how thats possible because propane is essential in our part of the woods where most people, like us, dont have heat, hot water, or even cooking abilities, without it. With the reminder that I usually give up on things too easily fresh in my mind, I decide, I am going to take care of this without waking Mike up.  So, I use my connections! I call a high schooler of ours, who points me to another high schooler whose Mom works for Amerigas. My lifeline. I call her and she is sweet as can be on her day off that is also a holiday. Within an hour, we have an Amerigas driver filling up our tank.  But, because this was a special case, he decided to check real quick before he left for a leak. Mike had said he had smelled propane when he came home from work last night, but the Amerigas employee didn't think we should worry since apparently that happens when you are running low. I was so glad he checked anyways and checked as thouroughly as he did because sure enough, the numebrs started dropping ever so slightly.  He thought the stove was the culprit, and long story short, it was. After tightening somet things and moving some things around he was able to completely fix the leak.

I was so bummed this morning that we would have to get a special call for propane, on the weekend, to fill our tank up, worrying that we would get a special service charge to our bill which can be extra pricey. And instead, God totally blessed us by providing awesome protection for our family in this situation. I am so grateful it wasn't worse!!

No comments:

Post a Comment