Sunday, October 24, 2010

A couple fun Mom-isms

I had a conversation with Brayden's Monday Night babysitter who watches him while I help out at youth group, and she asked me if I understood what Brayden was saying when he talked, and then I had one of those, "Wow, I am really a Mom" moments. I know that probably sounds dumb, even after 2+ years of being a Mom, but every now and then I have one of these so-said moments.  This moment was the one where I realized I was "that" Mom who could answer yes, I do understand what he's saying most of the time. I understand at least what Brayden is talking about, even if there is a lot of jibber jabber thrown all around it. I can usually make out the part about his grandparents, Mommy, Daddy, Bear, the Puppy, Buzz and Woody, cars, etc. And then I remembered being "the" babysitter, the one who asked parents that because I had no idea what their kid was saying. Anyways, it was a heart warming moment to realize I'm "that" Mom :)

Another one, we had an item in the car (which now, of course, I can't remember what it was) that was the shape of a diamond.  And I was driving, and I kept hearing Brayden asking for something, and, after posting the paragraph above, it frustrated me that I didn't know what he was saying. Looking through my rear-view mirror, I saw him point to whatever it was, I think a piece of cardboard or something, and say it again "die-muhn" and then I realized what he wanted, reached back and handed it to him and thought, Wow! He knows what a diamond is! Where in the hek did he learn that from? We have one shapes puzzle that we do from time to time and that's the only place I could come up with him learning the word and shape. So tonight I put him to the test by going over a shapes book we have in his little library, and was pretty darn shocked to hear him say, heart, triangle, circle and square when I pointed to the various shapes, and he got them right almost the entire time! He also knows octagon, which I am having a hard time trying to tell Mike that Brayden did NOT learn that from UFC ;-)!!

1 comment: