Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Temper Tantrums from Big Fat Mama

On my blogroll on the bottom right side of our blog, you can find links to some of the blogs I check most often (there are quite a few I have yet to add!).  One of these blog's is from Big Fat Mama (her name choice, not mine, hehe!) She's got some wonderful insight to parenting/marriage/following the Lord on her blog, http://www.cookingupfaith.com/.  This is from her most recent post, and it really really blessed me. Thanks BFM!

Temper Tantrums

"Well, I think there are two approaches - really ignoring or kind of ignoring with a power struggle thrown in there.


Scenario - your toddler is throwing a fit about something.

If you walk around and try and go about your business while trying to ignore the fit, usually you either continue to say no, start saying no in a louder and louder voice, maybe start yelling a bit, and then you both feel like you're getting nowhere.


Today, when my youngest son started his temper tantrum because he wanted something  that I didn't want him to have, I tried the above approach first. I told him no, and then went about my business and he followed me around everywhere screaming and crying. I realized I kept giving him attention by continuing to say no.

So then I took him to his room, left the door open, but told him he couldn't come out until his fit was over.



He cried for about 45 minutes straight, and then I heard him playing and the fit was over.

When I went in his room we were playing for a little bit when he asked me again for what he wanted and I said "no" and he said "oh" and moved on.


I felt like this second approach didn't turn into a power struggle or a control thing of him trying to gain his way and be in control and me trying to stand my ground and stay in control. I simply said no to something and he took his reaction of disapproval to his room, alone. When he was ready to listen and obey he came back.


There is no room for control issues with God either. When we turn away from God He doesn't turn it into a power struggle. True love does not control. He simply gives us His perfect laws, which are made complete with love, and we choose how we react to it.


We rebel - He let's us rebel


We return - He's waiting with arms wide open. 

Don't you realize how patient he is being with you? Or don't you care? Can't you see that he has been waiting all this time without punishing you, to give you time to turn from your sin? His kindness is meant to lead you to repentance. Romans 2:4"

1 comment:

  1. Wow! You've blessed me with your comment. And so nice to meet you - I love connecting with other moms out there!

    Congratulations on your pregnancy. I pray the nausea doesn't last too long. :(

    Big Fat Mama

    ReplyDelete